I have used the Battery Tender as well, the smaller one for the K2 and a
larger one for external batteries.

You can't use the existing K2 power jack to charge unless you remove some
components, as because of the voltage drop, the smart charger will be
outwitted and overcharge the battery.  So, at least some modification is
necessary, and if you leave the resistor in place, your K2 will be
consistent with others and can properly handle the 14v slow charge through
its DC jack.

I believe drilling the hole is the best solution, because it adds a second
jack explicitly for charging.  I saw Wayne N6KR's K2 and he had mounted an
extra plug or two in the back of his K2 as well (though his was for DC
out), through one of the old transverter holes.  So I think it's A-OK,
kinda like replacing the RCA phono jack that Heathkit used to use for
antenna connections with an SO-239.

Here's how I did it:

http://wa5znu.org/log/2005/01/k2-charging-jack.html

Since I did it, Unibits have come down in price, and inexpensive
competitors from Harbor Freight and Northern Tool are available.  I found
that I had to stop just shy of the battery to get the hole the right size.

Originally I planned to replace the K2 power switch with a double-pole
double-throw switch to allow me to have the charging jack active or the
battery connected, but not both; however, I eventually decided not to do
this and just hook the charging jack up through an internal fuse as Don
recommended.   I used a mini-blade fuse internally in the plus line, and
ran a separate minus line.

I do notice some hum if the charger is on red; this could mean my battery
is getting old, or it could happen to everyone (although Don hasn't
reported it is an issue for him).

Having the charger jack also means you can use a Northern Tool 350ma
folding solar panel and replenish the battery in the K2 while it's
operating!

I don't have the Radio Shack part number for the jack I used, but you can
see it in the 4th picture.  I believe they have a couple of sizes; it's up
to you whether you want to use the same as the K2 power plug, or use a
different size to more clearly separate them.

Leigh/WA5ZNU