Define 275W. Is that PEP or is that average. If it is what the meter reads
the SSB peaks might be much higher. I assume you actually knew this.

Another possibility is the K3 power spike on first SSB syllable, that might
be higher than the one on CW. Whenever you change mode or power setting, the
ALC is reset and there is a high power spike. If that initial spike causes a
breakdown, the arc will persist. However, on the second key up after a
little delay to let everything cool off there should not be another arc. If
there is, that was not the problem. Easy to eliminate this one.

Another possibility is simple RF feedback, causing the K3 PA and amp
combination to oscillate at some other frequency where the VSWR is poor. Are
you wearing the headset when operating CW? If so it should happen in CW so
it probably is not that either.

Mike