Dave,
It was puzzling.  I had the same situation.  Because I often use the M>V tap and a number key to change bands, I found that I was resetting my data mode to AFSK A.

When a frequency is stored in a memory regardless of the mode, SSB, CW, or data, the data mode in play at the time is stored as well.

So, I went through all the "number key" memories and stored them all again.  Even though the mode stored is CW, I went over to the DATA MD and made sure it was FSK D.  Then I switched back to CW and stored it, V>M and a number key.

It is a bit confusing, but I hope this helps.

73,
Bob - N9SF