I find the K3 NR to be rather good, but what strikes me the most is how I can't
find a favorite setting, but I always have to go through the available settings
to find something that suits a given signal. That would suggest that even more
settings could be useful, if they bring anything new to the table. I have to
say that I have been rather impressed listening to sample files from BHI LTD:

http://www.radio.bhinstrumentation.co.uk/html/sound_file_demonstration.html

If I am not mistaken, I think some time ago I saw some of their promotional
materials boasting that they used an algorithm based on neural networks. It
would be interesting to know if such an approach can be shown to be equivalent
to the approach used by Elecraft, or if it offers a useful variation.

Another thought: Many noise reducers including the K3's do seem to attenuate
the high frequencies, sometimes just slightly and sometimes excessively. Much
of what we perceive as irritating noise seems to be in the higher frequencies,
and just cutting those off using bandpass or equalizer might have a similar
effect. To make it easier to determine whether a particular NR setting is
useful, it might be helpful if each of the settings would include filtering
that would emphasize the highs to compensate for the highs lost in NR. I am
guessing that the effect of the NR would then appear more subtle, but also more
honest. Of course the design parameters might not easily translate to the
effect of audio frequency response, and that response may vary with the
momentaneous characteristics of the wanted signal and the noise, but at least
it should be possible to measure the signal and noise characteristics in real
time.

73,
Erik K7TV