DaveL  G3TJP wrote:

> G4ILO said:
> Given that web hosting is available for well under a tenner in the UK from
> reputable hosts like 1+1, I don't know why someone would penny-pinch to
> the extent of using a dodgy free web host for their business site.
> ====
> Ah, I would have been disappointed if you hadn't commented, Julian.
>
> It's Chris's choice who hosts his longstanding website; FYI the hosting is
> run by another amateur, who's a friend of his.
>
> The site is sound, otherwise he'd have been out of business long ago, so
> rather than pick over the bones, why not look at the meat of the issue?
>
> Derogatory comments make me wish I'd never pestered him to provide a
> little Xmas deal for amateurs this side of the pond.
>
> Season's Greetings.

I believe I did "look at the meat of the issue", when I said is "Kaspersky
regards Free Web Town as a bad neighbourhood, with some justification if
Google is anything to go by." Why did you quote my post selectively?

I make my living from running websites so I do know a fair bit about the
subject. Getting your friend who knows a bit about computers to set up your
business website is not always a good idea, if you want to avoid blunders
that can harm your business.

Dave (AON) discovered a potentially serious security warning and did the
right thing by alerting people about it. I don't think anyone now believes
there is anything dangerous about the site, but the warning only arose
because of the choice of web hosting. It could have been genuine - as I
again said in my post, it is quite common for hackers to plant malware on a
site, especially sites that have been set up by someone who is not very
security conscious - and it was right for Dave to alert people until others
had had a chance to look at it.

It is, as you say, Chris's choice who hosts his site. However, I would have
thought he might have been concerned that his site is raising alerts that
could be turning away potential customers. I would have been, if it was my
site. But as you say, it's his business.

I will probably be ordering components from him myself, so thank you for
drawing this site to my attention and for making the arrangements for the K3
mod kit. However as an IT professional with 35 years in the industry I
regard internet security as a serious matter. I stand behind the comments I
have made on that matter, and consider that your snide response and attempt
to turn the blame on those who have commented is completely inappropriate.

73 and seasons greetings.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
http://www.g4ilo.com/ G4ILO's Shack   http://www.ham-directory.com/ Ham