You are right, even with an external speaker. I would not say it is bad, but
my THS480 is much better, as is my SDR IQ. Like the difference between a
cassette tape and a CD say.

I think the problem is the low frequency response - it could be something to
do with the DSP filtering. The  good thing is, it can be changed. For comms,
you do not need full frequency response. The K3 is designed primerily for
communications.

Mike