> This would solve N1MM Logger's inability to mute the K3 mic
> while voice keying because the K3 doesn't offer separate
> level controls for mic and line (like the Orion does).

All N1MM logger needs to do is read the mic gain (MG;), store
the value and issue an MG000; command to mute the mic.  When
the message is over, issue MG##; with the stored value.  It's
not brain surgery.

However, routing the microphone into the soundcard and the
soundcard output to the K3 mic input is far preferable as
it allows N1MM Logger (or WriteLog, WinTest, etc.) to handle
muting of the microphone while the wave file is running
automatically without transceiver commands or contention
over line vs. mic priority.

It's not even difficult to configure mic PTT or footswitch
to serve as a "dump" switch which cancels the wave file
in midstream and reconnects the microphone.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV