Hmm, but there has been a recommendation to connect the mic return
and shield to the connector chassis, instead of using pin 7, to avoid
the "pin 1 problem".

http://n2.nabble.com/Microphone-ground-td1329465.html

    ~Iain

Don Wilhelm wrote:
Benson,

You can connect the black wire to either pin 7 or pin 8 and the red wire to pin 2 and it will work with the K3. Other amateur transceivers (some Kenwoods) have the PTT return separate from the AF return. I believe the PTT return is pin 8 and the AF Return is pin 7, so if you also want it to operate with all Kenwood transceivers having the 8 pin connector, wire the black wire to pin 8 and the shield plus the white wire pin 7 - the green wire (AF) goes to pin 1.

73,
Don W3FPR

Benson wrote:
I see in the K3 manual that the mic connector has one pin for PTT and two grounds. My mic, a Shure 450 (http://www.shure.com/stellent/groups/public/@gms_gmi_web_ug/documents/web_resource/us_pro_450_series_2_ug.pdf) has a red and black wire for PTT. They are not part of the audio circuit but are just shorted by the PTT in the mic. Can anyone offer any guidance in wiring this mic?