Hello Gary, and congratulations! Opening up the K3 again is not nearly as
traumatic as you might think.

The POWER control will *ask* for more than the rig can deliver. It's spec'd
at 100 watts, and that's what is guaranteed. The K3 can make a bit more than
100 watts on most bands, but that's all it's spec'd to do. When you set the
POWER control for a specific output, it tries to adjust the transmitter
circuits for that output, but can't do it if it's out of their range. That's
what is happening to you at 120 watts.

The absolute maximum power will vary by band and to some extent from rig to
rig. But since 120 watts is a whole 0.8 dB more than 100 watts, it's not
significant on the air.

You're probably crowding that 20 amp supply at 100 watts on some bands. The
efficiency (and so the current required for a given output power) varies
from band to band. I'm running a K3 with a 20 amp supply, but I'm near the
limit on some bands at right on 20 amps for 100 watts out, if the SWR is
quite low. (Higher SWR's reduce the efficiency so the current goes up!)

I don't know whether your supply has a crowbar circuit in it, but my Astron
does. It lets me know if I push too hard by simply shutting down. I have to
cycle the power supply mains switch to reset it, then turn the K3 on again.

Ron AC7AC