I am quite aware that the gurus at Elecraft are extremely busy and need evidence that firmware changes are beneficial. That is why I asked that those with the KRX3 should try my method and report their findings. The K3 has a great CW receiver but SSB improvements seem to be on the back burner.

Tony, I verified that intelligibility is maintained with a null in the
passband center as you suggested, and it's an interesting effect.  But I'm
not convinced that this will bring an improvement in QRM immunity...

The NBVM people took this a step further. Once the spectrum was notched, they shifted the upper frequency range down by the notch width, resulting in a narrower overall spectrum while maintaining intelligibility.

Ignoring the bandwidth for the moment, the question becomes, "Is the resulting voice signal acceptable under crowded band conditions?"

73,

Lyle KK7P