Dave Yarnes wrote:
And there are some out there, such as various followers of the eastern orthodox faith, who follow "the old calendar", which means Christmas isn't until January 6th.

A similar, but moving, difference occurs at Easter as well. That's because their observance of Easter is , if I understand it correctly, predicated on when jewish Passover occurs. I think they have a point, since "The Last Supper" was a celebration of Passover.

This is even more complicated than it looks! Both Easter and Passover are based on a lunar calendar. Easter Sunday is the Sunday following a particular full moon <http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/easter.htm>, and Passover is the 15th of Nisan on the Jewish calendar. Jewish months start with the new moon, so the 15th is a full moon.

The Jewish calendar is interesting because it reconciles lunar and solar periods. Despite the synchronization of the months with lunar cycles, the Jewish holidays always come out in the same season. This is accomplished with months that have leap days and even a 'leap month' that is added 7 times in every 19 years.

The Islamic calendar is purely lunar. So holidays move by about 11 days each year with respect to the solar year.

More than you wanted to know.
--
Best Regards,
Vic Rosenthal