OK, I figured it out.

There is a confluence of incomplete inventory from Elecraft, incomplete checking by me, and working late at night after a big meal.

It all comes down to standoffs.   I was missing two of the longest ones.

This morning I rethought the problem, and found I had "measured with my eyes" when installing the only ones left.

No big deal. Years ago I bought six Mason jars full of hardware, screws, nuts, etc. from an elderly ham who was cleaning his shop. $1 per jar. Never have I been so rewarded by the expenditure of $1.

I'll just remount the proper size standoffs and all will fit like a charm.

Everything else went together like a dream. I am so impressed with the mechanical implementation. Even the "L" shaped cover and circuit board went together flawlessly.

I would like to thank the encouraging emails from N2TK, Tony, Johnny Siu VR2XMC, Don W3FPR, and Bill NY9H, and Patrick W7TMT.

This is a great radio, made by a great company, but enhanced substantially by the community of The LIst!

Thanks and 73 to all,

Ken N6TZV

PS: I saved all the extra screws from the K3. I have had to dig into that bag to help with the KRX3.

I also note that I have sufficient small black flathead screws to replace any that are damaged cosmetically.

Save those extra screws and hardware!!!