Just to add my 2 cents - the 'openess' of the K3 and it's supporting software
to the Mac and Linux has been a real boon. I happen to use Cocoamodem for
digital modes on a mac, and the ability to use the K3's utility program on that
platform was a selling point for me. The same would be true of any Panadaptor
or Bandscope option. Overall, the availability in kit form, along with the
continued development, both in firmware and in new modules, is what sold me on
the K3, vs the likely next Ten Tec I would have gotten. I missed out on the
whole Heathkit thing in ages past - for me, this is Heatkit on steroids.