From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Kevin Rock
Sent: Sunday, December 28, 2008 10:02 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] Preliminary Elecraft CW Net Report for December 28th &
29th, 2008

Good Evening,
   I am still without power but ran both nets from my battery bank of four
Trojan T-105s linked in series parallel.  Luckily I had them charged the day
the power went out (Wednesday) and they are still over 12 volts.  According to
West Oregon Electric Cooperative the repair crew is only a few miles away
working on the last feeder line up to me.  I know there are a few more breaks
between there and me so I expect to be awakened when a few lights and the fans
come on during the middle of the night.  All I can say is hot running water is
the most valuable luxury in the world :)  Luckily power got to the lower parts
of the mountain yesterday so I am able to use the telephone.  I have worked
through many county agencies including the sheriff and fire departments but the
one I need the most is not answering.  I need them to plow the current five
feet of snow off the road.  Then I can resupply for the next power outage.  It
would sure be nice to see another human being again too!  I have not seen
anyone since last Saturday when there was a break in the storm.  I am starting
to get just a little stir crazy :)
   But, to get back to net news, I was running my rig at 50 watts today into an
artificially lowered G5RV.  One of my antennas got snapped right at the
feedline connection to the doublet.  The other, the one I am currently using,
was lowered about twenty feet by what I think is the same branch which took out
the other one.  However, it tunes nicely.  But then so did the coax stub left
from the other antenna :)  I just receive and transmit so much better with the
unbroken one ;)
   The twenty meter net went swimmingly.  There were a dozen check ins. Plus,
we got the very rare AC7AC.  He needs to keep his K3 in one piece for longer
than 30 minutes at a time.  Ron, maybe we need to hide your tools and put you
on emergency power.  That way you would be forced to use your radio more than
you tear down and rebuild it!  I am glad you weathered the storms off the
Pacific.  Once the snow melts off up here this will only be a memory.  Well,
except for the folks in Vernonia.  They are sweating out another flood.  All of
my many feet of snow melts into the Nehalem River watershed which flows right
through their town.  Thus, what is good for me is bad for them.
   Enough already and on with the lists =>

   On 14050 kHz at 2300z:
W0CZ - Ken - ND - K3
W0JFR - John - CO - K3
W1TF - Ty - GA - K3
WC7S - Dale - WY - K2
NO2D - Pete - CO - K3 - 2126
JH1VIG - Kaz - Japan (near Tokyo)
K6DGW - Fred - CA - K3
AC7AC - Ron - OR - K3
VE7XF - Ralph
W6ZH - Pete - CA - rig unknown :)
K6PJV - Dale - CA - K3
N0AR - Scott - MN - K2

   On 7045 kHz at 0200z:
WC7S - Dale - WY - K2
W7SF
W0JFR - John - CO - K3

Since I cannot boot the regular computer which holds the database I cannot give
all of the information necessary to complete this report.  When West Oregon
Electric is kind enough to give me back AC power I will rewrite this report
with the blanks filled in.  Currenty I am running my laptop through an inverter
hooked to my battery bank.  I am very happy the phones are working again; it is
very nice to hear people talking.  I was able to check into the ECOM nets and
hear about the local emergencies and could have helped if only to relay
traffic.  But, now the police, fire, road crews, and power company all know I
work with ECOM and train people in ECOM methods.  I set up the folks at West
Oregon Electric with www.qrz.com and a list of call signs so they can find the
local amateurs they need to assist them during power outages.  They were most
grateful.  I need to work on my antennas though but luckily the VHF/UHF
antennas have weathered the various storms much better than the HF antennas
ever have.  My J-pole, my 6 meter loop, and my GP-9 are all working just fine.
However I could work the state's HF ECOM net if necessary because my antenna is
now tending toward NVIS behavior :)

Thank you for your support and a very Happy New Year to all of you!
   73,
      Kevin.  KD5ONS  (Net Control Operator 5th Class)

-