From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.
net] On Behalf Of Johnny Siu
Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2009 1:43 AM
To: Elecraft Reflector; DOUGLAS ZWIEBEL
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K4: serious challenge for the $10K toys

Hello Doug,

For the market of 10k and 15k rig, it has to be supported by a large
institutional market which is the most profitable.

The requirements from institutonal users could be different from hams.
Durability, physcial strength and easiness of operation could be another
areas to look into.  I fully appreciate that Elecraft is a very clever
manufacturing engineer and marketing manager.  When you examine both K2 and
K3, for all the non-essential parts (including the fat head and pan head
cabinet screws), I am rude to say that they use the cheapest materials.  For
the T/R switch of KPA100, they only use the cheap IN4007 diodes for the
switching (but works very well!!).

On the other hand, for the criticial parts such as the front end of XV144
they use an excellent MOSFET.  Elecraft is very clever in a way that they
can mimize the production costs against performance.

K2 and K3 are excellent in specifications but I doubt whether they can
really operate under full institutional usage 7/24 a week.  May be there is
another version of K3 for institutional users which I don't know.

I am an ICOM user as well.  I understand that ICOM earns huge revenue from
the institutional version of their IC7800, IC7700 and ICR9500.  For a
purchase of 10k or over, the prospective purchaser will look into other
issues.  For me, I would also think of resell value of my used gears if I
invest 10k or more.

May be I am lucky that in Hong Kong, all the top gears (except K3) are only
80% of the US prices.  Therefore, when I sell my IC7800 or IC7700 in future,
the loss to me could be minimal.

With the clever minds in Elecraft, I think they have the capability and
talent to enter the profitable institutional market.  Perhaps, they may go
for IPO in due course (of course not now) for funding.

cheers,

Johnny Siu VR2XMC

--- 2009年1月3日 星期六,DOUGLAS ZWIEBEL <doug...@gmail.com> ��道�s

      Yahoo!香港提供�W上安全攻略,教你如何防��黑客! ��前往