"Roger that" regarding shift and width granularity!

I had great success (for me) in RU using my 200 Hz 5 pole filter with the DSP width set at 200 Hz and moving the filter offset frequency (FLx FRQ) about 30 Hz from normal to center up the passband while looking at band noise with MMTTY. I used 1275 Hz Mark frequency. DSP LO was 1.3 KHz and HI was 1.5 KHz. Moving the filter offset allowed both mark and space signals to come through at similar amplitudes. If the DSP resolution below a few hundred Hz would switch to 10 Hz resolution, it would be a real help and should probably alleviate jockeying the filter offset. In my case sensitivity might improve a bit, too since my mark frequency was 25 Hz outside of the stated DSP passband! With 10 Hz resolution, the DSP could be set something like 1260 through 1460 Hz. (or whatever produces the best looking response in the desired audio passband) without tweeking FLx FRQ. At any rate, even with 50 Hz granularity this setup allowed me substantially better copy of weak TTY signals in a crowded band than did the DUAL PB in the more conventional manner (while using MMTTY). The radio performed flawlessly for me in my first RTTY Roundup (Single Op, Low power, 530 Q's, 56 Sec, 35 countries, all S&P). The radio was run in the FSK D mode with data decoding always running.

Incidentally, my fancy new LCD computer monitor uses a capacitance touch power switch which would frequently turn off the monitor when I was transmitting on certain bands (40 or 20). But I never lost a Q because of this because I could always copy the RTTY on my K3 decoder display and would occasionally grab the paddles to send if the stations call had not yet been entered in the logging program (N1MM). It always took a few seconds for the monitor to reinitialize once I was able to turn it back on though it seemed much longer than that in the contest. My next ham radio task may be modifying this monitor.

73,
Mike

Guy, K2AV wrote:
Changing SHIFT and WIDTH granularity to 10 Hz from 50 would improve CW
useability as well.
A lot of us have formed contest operating habits and tactics based on analog
SHIFT and WIDTH functions. Like a combination of a small shift and
(sometimes) a lesser width change to put someone up or down just a bit
farther down the passband and keep the same skirt frequency on the opposite
side of the passband.

73, Guy

wayne burdick wrote:
All RTTY issues noted, Dave -- thanks.

Congratulations on your excellent showing!

Wayne
N6KR