Wes Stewart N7WS wrote:

> I'm still playing with my new K3 and finally got around to listening on
> 6-meters.  There are so many birdies as to make it unusable.
>
> At first I thought they might be external, and some were generated in my
> Lenovo laptop, but shutting it down and terminating the K3 antenna port
> with a load doesn't eliminate them.
>
> When listening to the same frequencies with an Icom IC-R10 with a whip
> antenna next to the K3 I don't hear a thing.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Wes  N7WS

Wes,

>From what you have said these birdies are being generated inside the K3, if
I am right to assume that only the power supply and nothing else except the
dummy antenna load is connected to your K3, and that turning your Icom
IC-R10 on or off makes no difference to any birdies' level or frequency.

I do wonder if you have a fault in your K3 when you say 'so many birdies', I
get the impression that something is unstable on 6m but perhaps not on the
lower frequency bands. There might be a poor solder connection to a bypass
capacitor for example, which could result in problems on 6m but not on the
lower frequency bands certainly if two or more capacitors are used in
parallel,or some SMD capacitor has failed due to mechanical stress. It might
be worthwhile to troubleshoot.

Some of these internal birdies that you are hearing are probably legitimate
members of the birdie family created by the receiver's spurious response(s)
hearing one or more of the receiver's oscillators, or their products. The
frequency of these birdies can be predicted and their level can vary greatly
between identical receivers, also the routing of internal cables can become
"fussy" if shielding is inadequate or RF grounds 'float'. However this
latter issue is best left to the designer.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD