There was a firm limit of 240 segments for the K3's LCD, due to the
particular LCD driver we used and other considerations. This meant
including only those VFO B decimal points needed for parameter displays
and frequency display (a total of 4 decimal points among the 7
character positions).

Because of this, arbitrary text sent to the VFO B display is subject to
some translations, among them conversion of '.' to an underscore, ':'
to a top/bottom line, and '!' to .... well, you'll have to try it  :)
It's a compromise.

You can test text-to-VFO B translations using the power-on banner, or
you can send characters to the VFO B display one at a time using the
"DB" remote control command. For example, if you type "DB%;" in the
command tester window, you'll see what passes for a percent sign pop
out on the VFO B display. "DBJ;" would send the letter J, etc. In fact
you can send strings of any length to the VFO B display in this way
using a PC program.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Jan 10, 2009, at 4:45 PM, David Lankshear wrote:

> Hi Doug.
>
> I played with this briefly yesterday before taking the rig down for
> some mods, so I  haven't been
> able to check it out.  I have a feeling that spaces entered by the
> user appear as underscores,
> so your period might just be "lost" in the underscore.  I put my
> serial number in the banner and
> the # looked most unsatisfactory with an underscore below it, but
> then, as I know my name,
> callsign, serial number and that the rig's a K3, I don't really need a
> power-on reminder just yet HI!

---

http://www.elecraft.com