Gary:

Guy, K2AV, said,

"Make sure in Config Menu you have AGC PLS nor."

This is the probably the single best suggestion of all other than
riding the RF gain.  Most prevalent and especially during contests are
key clicks - hard keying - which extend at times several kHz fore and
aft of the carrier freq.  If AGC PLS is set to "OFF" the key clicks
will surely affect the AGC.  In my opinion, the K3 handles this
situation better than any other rig I've used - which is many.  Again,
make sure AGC PLS is "nor."  I have no troubles, even on the topband
with preamp on, with AGC pumping and a 200 Hz filter.

73,

Dan -- N3ND