On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 00:43:22 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi Dave,
>

>             And for those of us that are "tone deaf" or at least deficient
> the ability to change the pitch helps a lot.  Two signals that are the same
> to me at  800 HZ  just seem to move apart as the pitch is lowered.  To look
> at it another way the absolute difference between the two  signals has not
> changed  but between 800 and 400 hz tones  the percent change has doubled
> and, at least to me, is very audible.
>

>73,
>Bob
>K2TK
>

>David Robertson wrote:
>KEITH and fellow Elecrafters. It has been long known that certain individules
>have an inablity of decerning a difference in a pitch of tones that are
>somewhat close to the same frequincy. This is comminally refered to as tone
>deafness.Thats why CWT is real handy. There are many good CW operators that
>are tone deaf. They can hear the tones but if the tones are very close in
>frequency they cant tell one from the other other then sending speed and
>style.   An interesting fact. in a room with 150 people being tested for SONAR
>which several pair of tones were played. Some tone pairs were the same
>frequency, other tone pairs were offset from each other. You had to mark
>weather the tones were same, second tone high, or second tone low. You had to
>get %85 right or you failed. When the test was completed there was only 10 of
>us that passed.   For us that are not aflicted with this minor disablity using
>your brain as a filter for the pitch you want can make for good cw copy. For
>peopl
 e that
>are tone deaf, get you contacts using the CWT and good filtering.    So Keith
>you are not alone but don't let that keep you from CW     73 DAVE KD1NA

What am I missing here?

Does tone-deafness cause an inability to detect the "warble" one hears
when tuning with the spot button  pressed?

I have begun using the CWT most of the time now.  Not because I can't
tune accurately with the spot tone, but because it is faster.

Tom, N5GE
http://www.n5ge.com
http://www.swotrc.net