It reminds me of methods to receive weak signals with other radios. Adjust
crystal filters for a single peak, reduce RF gain, play with ATT.... K3
makes these steps unnecessary.

All what K3 needs for NR (and NTCH) is to put them inside the AGC loop, like
for instance in IC7000.

NR at level 1 or 2 does not reduce the signal strength too much but also
does not bring signals out of the mud.

Ignacy

I've found that adjusting AGC THR makes quite a difference.  I normally have
THR at 4 but when I need the NR, I adjust THR to 6 or even 7.  I set NR at
2-1 or 2-2.  With this setting, I normally do not have to turn AF gain up.

73,  Gary W7TEA