Bill,

In my CW opinion, I would say you don't need a filter for FD use. While
popular, it doesn't hold a candle to the harsh conditions during a 160M or
major DX contest, such as CQ WW on 20M.

The 500 Hz filter is a good choice for general contesting and semi-crowded
conditions. For casual CW, you probably don't even need a special CW filter
with the K3.

The beauty of the uber-narrow filters in excessively crowded bands is that you
can really kill most of the garbage outside of your filter's pass band.

I think it's been stated here before, unless you have serious needs, like
contesting, the K3 does great bare bones and added roofing filters are not
necessary.

I'll be hauling my K2 out for FD, love the "all-in-one" QRP package.

73,
Julius

Julius Fazekas
N2WN