Hi John:

It's kind of like setting your PC to show invisible files. There's always
the chance that you might mess something up that's why it's not recommended.
If you're careful when you go into CONFIG you won't mess up any of the more
technical settings. If you are the careless type you might want to leave
TECH MD off.

I like to play around with several different CONFIG settings so I allocated
them to special buttons. Then it only takes one push (or one hold) to bring
them up. The obvious special function buttons are PF1 and PF2. But if you
are not using the M1 through M4 buttons for recording purposes you can also
use them for special features. Instructions are in the manual.

73,
Mike K2MK

On my K3 I often change the AGC -- S setting.  I like 5 for general
listening, but 20 when I'm net control so I don't miss the weak
check-ins.  Each time I go through the menu to first set TECH MD on and
then after making the change, setting TECH MD to off.

Somewhere in the manual it said to turn TECH MD off after you make
changes.  Is this really necessary?  What are the dire consequences of
leaving TECH MD on?  It would save me a couple of steps.

73 de K1ESE
John