The newer headsets come standard with a 1/8 plug for the mic.

never get over." Ben Franklin
-----Original Message-----
From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Dick Dievendorff
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 2:20 PM
To: 'Terry'; Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Proset Plus HC-4/HC-5

Yes, the Heil Proset Plus with HC-4/HC5 elements can be used with the K3.

Yes, the Kenwood adapter is the correct one if you prefer front-panel
connection of your microphone to the K3.  The Heil adapter is an AD-1 K.
It's red, and has an 8-pin Foster plug.

Alternatively, you plug the 1/8" microphone connector from the Heil headset
directly into the K3 back panel mic connector, making an adapter
unnecessary.

However the back panel phone jack is a 1/8" stereo connector, which makes
plugging a 1/4" stereo plug a bit unwieldy.  Flexible "pigtail" adapters
exist, but they're clumsy and rigid adapters 1/4" to 1/8" adapters may
stress the 1/8" jack excessively.

I ended up with a Heil headset that came with a 1/8" stereo plug for the
headphones with an adapter for 1/4" when I need the larger size.

73 de Dick, K6KR