From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Julian, G4ILO
Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2009 7:00 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3: send RTTY using KEY IN?

Val-12 wrote:

> Julian, the paddle generates only dots and dashes, so the decoding is
> necessary anyway. But this is not a problem, after K3 has decoding
> capability.

Yes, but it can quickly work out what the character is from the dots and
dashes. With hand-sent morse it has to figure out what is a dot and what is
a dash. This is the hard part, the reason why decoders don't work so well on
hand sent morse.

Yes, the K3 has decoding capability that works on audio from the receiver.
Wiring that up (or the software equivalent) so it works from input from the
key socket as well is not as trivial as it may seem to someone who is not
the rig designer.

Believe me. I asked pretty much the same question a while ago when I
wondered why the K3 decoder could not display the code I was sending from
the straight key, as it does with the paddle, and that was what I was told.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
http://www.g4ilo.com/ G4ILO's Shack   http://www.g4ilo.com/blog.html G4ILO's
Blog    http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html KComm for Elecraft K2 and K3