For shortened antennas such as the MP-1 there is a wonderful information
resource in the yahoo hfpack group. They have run a lot of comparisons of
portable antennas including MP-1, Buddipole, etc, as well as absurdly
shortened versions. They make somewhat serious "antenna range" comparisons
to an unshortened reference antenna at the same height. As I recall, losses
for a shortened antenna really don't get very significant until you get
below about 50% length, all other things, including height, being equal.

I sometimes use my Buddipole for backpacking, either in horizontal or
vertical configuration. The standard Buddipole is long enough to be about
50% for 20m. For 40 it is easy to get close to 50% with extra sections and
longer telescoping whips. The MP-1 manufacturer produces produces components
that are very comparable to the Buddipole ones, suitable for horizontal as
well as vertical configurations.

In selecting between vertical and horizontal configurations, I always keep
in mind something I read years ago: that the overall efficiency of the
antenna is influenced by the efficiency of the ground reflections of the
waves way beyond the near zone. My recollection is that with poor soil,
horizontal polarization has an edge, while the opposite is true for good
ground locations such as near salt water.
With my local rocky and dry soil, I think horizontal polarization has the
edge. Using both halves of the Buddipole makes for a heavier backpack
though. A wire dipole laid directly on the dry, rocky ground on a mountain
works surprisingly well. Perhaps an endfed dipole would also work well on
the ground under those conditions. I intend to experiment more with inverted
vee's made of light wire and using lightweight poles for support.

73,
Erik K7TV