Yeah, I was licensed in early 62 -- the bottom of the cycle.  I'd visit
older hams with incredible collections of DX QSLs on display.  They'd
say, "That was from back in '57 -- you could just put a piece of pipe on
a coke bottle on ten meters and work the whole world."

The first big peak that seemed comparable came about 17 years later (1979).

73--Nick, WA5BDU