Fred,

It is all relative.  If the 8 volt regulator output is on the lower side
of its spec (it is a 10% tolerance part), then everything will work out
just fine, set it to the maximum.
Reason - the IF amplifier is the stage controlled by the AGC, *and* it
is powered by the 8 volt regulator.  When the IF Amp supply voltage is
reduced, the ACG action begins at a lower voltage point than at higher
voltages.

Bottom line - if you are able to set the S-meter parameters with the
lower AGC Threshold voltage, then all is well.  If you cannnot adjust
the S-meter, then a 10k to 15k resistor soldered across pins 3 and 4 of
Control Board RP6 will allow you to adjust the threshold upward.

Yes, a manual errata sheet should be published IMHO.  The 3.8 volts is
not graven in stone.  There is an implication in the K2 manual that the
AGC threshold can be optimized later on, but there are no details of how
to do that - in fact, that optimization is simply reducing the AGC
Threshold voltage so that receiver noise does not activate the AGC.

73,
Don W3FPR