From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of David Fleming
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 9:06 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] accurate time

Julian, G4ILO wrote:

> Dick was just outlining the method a programmer would use
> to set the time, the commands you would need to use. He was
> not giving you the actual program. :) The implementation would
> be quite tricky.

I wrote such a program last night. It did turn out to be a bit tricky, but
it actually works. It basically compares the time on the K3 with the time on
the computer and sends the approriate commands to make the two coincide.

Sending all of the neccessary commands, along with the various delays that
are required to make it work right, takes time. Depending on how many UP; or
DN; commands that are needed, it can take up to 0.5 second or so to complete
the update. This prevents getting the K3's clock set *exactly* to the tick
with the computer, but it gets it close enough. For me anyway.

I added a couple of "features" as well. There's a UTC option that allows
either UTC or local time. There's also a "Auto-Update" option that will set
the K3 clock automatically when the program in run without user
intervention. The program then terminates after the update is sent. This
allows scheduling of periodic updates - like every week, or every day, or
whatever.

If anyone is interested, I'll polish it up and make it available for
download. I've only played with it on the Mac, but I should be able to
compile it for Windows too.

David, W4SMT