No, he's legit.  I had a similar problem.  Best thing is to telephone
him.  He's very helpful.  The problem with the ON AIR is that it seems
that he can't get the adapter plugs anymore.  Just tell him you have a
K3 and don't need the adapter plug.  I'm using an ON AIR at the
moment.  It plugs into the mic and phone plugs on the back of the K3
and works like a charm.

73,

Oliver Johns
W6ODJ