Lance Collister wrote:
> I also am quite interested in learning what the maximum recommended supply
> voltage
> is for the K3.  I recall some discussion indicating that it was advisable to
> have
> higher voltage rather than lower, but I don't recall what the maximum was.  I
> have
> just ordered a 15 VDC 100A switching power supply (that can be adjusted down
> 13.5 VDC) with the intent of running one or more solid state amps on it.  If
> the
> K3 can safely be used on this power supply, I would like to consolidate
> supplies
> and also use it to power the K3.  VY 73, Lance

A word of caution is in order. SGC advises against the use of switching
supplies for their SG-500 SmartPowerCube amplifier. The recommended
supply is a stout battery with a charger to keep it topped off, or a
beefy linear supply. And I believe running the rig and amp on the same
supply could be problematic if the regulation is not really good at
handling transients.

I occasionally use my K3 with the SG-500 and use separate power supplies
for the rig and amp: An Astron RS-35M for the K3 and the SGC PS-50 for
the amp. A pair of PS-50s is recommend for high duty cycle modes.

73,
Gus Hansen
KB0YH