For situations where time is important, it's worth learning about NTP.  It's an
open protocol and is run by default on most unix-like OSes.  Unlike the Windows
NTP client which simply syncs every couple weeks (by default), an ntp daemon is
running always on your machine.  It doesn't do a simple sync but continually, to
use the word loosely, monitors nearby time servers.  The linux laptop in my
shack is always right on time, plus or minus such a tiny amount that it doesn't
matter.

The protocol is used worldwide and was initially developed by Prof Dave Mills at
Univ of Delaware, my alma mater.  As an EE grad student, I used to enjoy
attending his presentations on NTP.

"Does anybody really know what time it is?"  - Chicago    :-)

73,
Mike ab3ap

PS NTP can even sync against WWV for time keepers on isolated nets.