I remember one in particular, circa 1959.  I had been licensed about a year and
needed a tower. My then neighbor and Elmer the late Lee, W7UVR, had a 30'
aluminum one laying in his yard and I asked him to "donate" it to me.

He said that if I helped him install the ground radials under his V80 he would
give me the tower.  I naively said yes.

It's necessary to set this up.  Although the neighborhood was nice, one-acre
lots then on the outskirts of Tucson, my family was working class and Lee was
the recent beneficiary of a large trust fund.  Why he remained in the
neighborhood was a mystery to me, but nevertheless, he did.  This is especially
baffling considering that he had a noisy power line cutting across the cornet
of his lot, so until Collins came out with their noise blanker for the 75A-4
sometime later, he couldn't hear anything.  So he decide to go mobile. You can
see THE mobile here:

http://www.k0bg.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1079

Clearly, Lee didn't do anything half-way.  The same was true for the home
station:  A bank of built-in 6' relay racks populated with a common power
supply and modulator and individual amplifiers for each band using push-pull
304TLs.  Still, since he couldn't hear much, he got himself an appointment as
an ARRL "Official Bulletin Station", retransmitting W1AW announcements. Thus
the need for a multi-band omni-directional antenna to augment the Christmas
tree Telrex stack.

When I entered this picture the vertical was standing and the transmission line
was in place.  I swear I'm not making this up, he was using rigid,
air-insulated hardline filled with nitrogen.

Not content to have a sloppy installation he wanted four-foot ground rods at
the end of each radial so that the wire could be pulled tight and anchored to
them.  This is where I came in, he needed some to pound ground rods.  I don't
remember exactly how many I drove but I did it for days.  As I remember, before
he became wealthy he had designed BC stations, I suspect it was the classic
120.  When I got done, we stretched and soldered the wire and he called in a
landscaper to cover it all up with topsoil.

I picked up my 30' tower and walked the two blocks home with it.