On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:55:22 -0400, Greg - AB7R wrote:

>Hi Jim.  I've notice something like timing problems or part of
the
>first character being chopped when CW AND PTT are set at the same
>time.  If I only set either DTR or RTS to key CW and no PTT
action
>it keys perfectly.

Thanks, Greg. Good information. The sub-programs within N1MM and
other logging software that sends CW is one of the weakest parts
of those programs, and it doesn't take much to degrade the CW. In
general, the faster the machine and the more memory it has
available, the better the CW works. The computer in my shack is a
five year old, 1.1 GHz Thinkpad (T22) with 512MB, and it has never
had a problem with CW, even with a lot of other stuff running at
the same time.

Another point. As code for the K3 evolves, the guys who write the
radio control elements of logging software are pedaling as fast as
they can to keep up. There are also some differences in the way
the K3 does things as compared to other radios, and the guys who
are writing the code for the loggers aren't always aware of them.
As a result, there ARE some flakinesses in that part of the
software. All of this is gradually being worked out, as Wayne and
Lyle implement more features that we ask for and tweak the way
things operate.

One example. One thing I LOVE about the K3 is that "normal" puts
CW on the same sideband on all bands, whereas most radios use LSB
on 40M and below, USB above 40M.

73,

Jim K9YC