I am a new owner of a K3 and also run an Orion 2 which is IMHO a fine rig.
I like its larger size and remote pod for use in contests.   Put this aside
I need to know how to drive the K3 but am influenced by the O2.   For the O2
I keep attenuation off, preamp on and ride the rf gain and I do this for all
bands on CW including 160 M.   Sometimes for contest work I throw in some
attenuation though it does not seem to be required.   Is it the consensus
that for the K3 a similar approach is used or am I right in gathering that
many of you disable the preamp and introduce attenuation as well as
throttling rf gain?

Both rigs allow many options and learning to configure them for ones style
of operation is critical.   I helped a friend with an O2 who was having a
horrible time until we went through the menus together and then he enjoyed
the sun.   I hope not to have too steep a learning curve and am grateful for
your guidance.   Thanks!

                                    73 Doug EI2CN