I am responding since my reply does have something to do with ham
radio. In fact, this rectification phenomenon is what got me into ham
radio!  In the latter 50s I couldn't believe my ears when one evening
I was in the bath tub and could hear faintly, but distinctly, the AM
station WJR -- Detroit, seeming to be coming from or near the tub
water spout.  We lived close to their broadcasting antennas.  I called
my Dad and he heard it as well.  Of course, at first, he thought I was
nuts. IT only "worked" some of the time and it seems whenever I wanted
to demonstrate to a friend what I heard, it didn't work.  Naturally, I
was deemed to be a nut case by my buddies.

It would come and go but no doubt about it, it was WJR.  Since neither
of us knew what was happening, my Dad suggested talking to our
neighbor down the street who was a ham.  He explained it was an
interaction of the metals used in the water feed pipe and spout and
the spout probably "amplified" the sound a bit.  He then gave me my
first radio -- a crystal/cat whisker kit.  I spent hours moving that
"whisker" around and "tuning" in stations.  I was totally fascinated
and enthralled and started to hang around Russ "the ham" and he was my
mentor and Elmer.  What a great guy and what a great hobby all of
these years.

I have not thought about those events for years and the post about the
rectification via amalgam fillings made me smile and I thought
"....gee, the same sort of thing actually happened to me and that is
why I am typing this today."

Greg K2UM