Tom Hammond wrote:
> One item which has (i believe) been touched upon, but may not have
> been explained deeply enough is the SIZE of the resulting audio file
> if you use the default record settings often offered by many (most)
> audio recording softwares.

One really needs to know something about the nature of the specific
problem before you start optimising the sound file settings.

In particular, whilst MP3 will be good for problems that are easily
audible and can be diagnosed by ear, it will probably completely corrupt
  PSK data.  If one ends up taking a spectrum, MP3 is also likely to
distort it.

I admit that 44.1kHz is likely to be excessive, if the roofing filters
are working.

> I've found that it's not necessary to use the highest fidelity recording
> parameters when recording SSB voice or CW... and possibly digital as well.

SSB is generally lower quality than telephone voice, so telephone
settings, i.e. 8kHz, mono, 8 bit mu- or A-law encoding would be enough
for recording voice.  (GSM is possibly the most compact form for SSB
voice (mobile phone quality), although you can get almost as compact
with low bit rate MP3.  I'm not sure if GSM (or MP3) handle noisy voice
very well. Standard bit rate MP3 will be larger than 8kHz mu-law.)  If
the roofing filters are OK, 8kHz should be OK for all but AM and FM
filters, although I might use 16 bit linear for raw recording of digital
modes.

(Telephone quality may appear as something like G.711 (G.71x) in the
list of codecs.)

--
David Woolley
"The Elecraft list is a forum for the discussion of topics related to