Walter,

For many years I have used a Weller TC 3001 iron (temperature control) with
various types of tip, and its WTCP 51 power supply, and I have not found a
temperature calibration unit to be necessary. This iron has been and is used
a lot while building homebrew equipment, most using SMD components, which
includes the soldering of the seams of metal enclosures used for shielding.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD

Walter V. Gilles wrote on Wednesday, April 01, 2009, at 12:06 AM

Greetings,

I'm going to purchase a solder station, probably one of the popular Weller
or Hakko units, with additional tips. Both manufacturers sell accessories to
calibrate the stations. Some recommend performing a temp calibration
whenever you replace the tip or the iron. All well and good until you see
the cost of these calibration (test) units. Would it be prudent to forego
the calibrations altogether, and just swap tips as needed, and rely on the
initial cal to keep it in the ballpark? I'm guessing after getting used to
the station, you will have a sense of proper temp for a particular job, and
could just tweak the temp setting up or down as needed without really
getting into the calibration arena. Just wanted to see what folks thought
about calibration and if it was worth it. Thanks. 73

Walter, WB2IDK (ex-N0DZJ)