David and All,

I'm not jumping into the middle of the discussion on RF
ground, but I'm certainly enjoying the commentary.  It's
very thought provoking.

However, I do want to "take issue", with all due respect, to
your point #1.  I've used a variety of MFJ accessories over
the last 30 years or so, and I find most of them to be quite
competent.  I might agree that there is the occasional
situation where a connection is bad, or something is
rattling around inside the case, but I think that is
certainly the exception rather than the rule.

MFJ products are generally aimed to provide a lower cost
approach to something.  As such, they tend to be somewhat
closer spec'd in order to reduce cost.  Nevertheless, when
used as designed, they usually work, and work well.  Many of
their items, like tuners, are relatively simple with few
components.  There's not much to go wrong, unless the item
is abused, which I maintain is why many users end up being
unhappy.  When MFJ says it's a 200 watt tuner, they usually
mean it!  I don't think I've ever had a problem with an MFJ
tuner, and I've had (have) a bunch of them!  But I've never
run more than 100 watts through them either.  But if you
bang one with power over the spec'd rating, or even close to
the spec'd rating with a horrible load (you should tune at a
reduced power first) for very long, something's probably
going to blow!

A lot of unhappiness with MFJ products is also due to the
fact that they tend to be fairly basic--as in not too many
"bells and whistles".  I can't even count the number of time
I've seen others opt for an MFJ item because it was cheaper
than "brand X", and then discover that it wouldn't do some
of the things brand X would do.  Of course, brand X was
twice as expensive too!  But suddenly, the MFJ item becomes
"junk" in their minds, and they give it a 1 or 2 rating on
Eham.  That's even though the MFJ item did what it said it
would do--just not a lot more.

MFJ isn't innocent when it comes to claiming "great
results", but neither are other manufacturers.  A good
example is their antennas and how "wonderful" they are.
They aren't!  But they work, and they are comparatively
inexpensive.

So, I suggest that most of the whining about MFJ stuff is
self induced.  Either it's excessive expectation, abuse, or
both.  After all, in most cases now they give you a "no
matter what" guarantee.  As a QRPer, I've found many MFJ
items to be extremely beneficial.  I think Martin Jue, who
owns MFJ, is "borderline genius" when it comes to
identifying a niche and filling it.  He's done more to
accomodate the QRP community (and QRO folks too) than just
about anybody.  I remember over 30 years ago, when I lived
in Memphis, seeing him selling his gadgets at the local
hamfest.  Since then he's been incredibly prolific (and
successful) , and it's been to our benefit.  The problem is
some folks want a Cadillac for a Chevrolet price.

As for the MFJ artificial ground accessory, I don't have
one, and have never used one.  But I bet it works--at least
it probably does what it is designed to do.  However, it's a
compromise solution, and not a perfect solution.
Accordingly, some folks are going to be disappointed.

Dave W7AQK