I guess I would have to listen to another K3, but the audio is no better than
my TS480 with internal speaker.

If I may throw my two pennies into the discussion -
I use medium quality amplified speakers on my K3, and with the speaker
amplifier turned up and the K3 connected to a dummy load, I hear no
evidence of any "hissy" receiver noise - very quiet.
My conclusion from that is the "hissy" sound is not from the K3 internal
noise.
BTW, the internal speaker is difficult for me to listen to, but that is
the fault of the speaker and not the K3 audio.

When I connect an antenna, I hear sounds that are directly related to
the DSP bandwidth I have dialed in (only the 2.7 kHz filter in this K3),
and also related to the AGC parameters that I have selected..  Sometimes
the band noise is objectionable, but what I am saying is that is band
noise and not K3 noise.

There was a change to the AGC in firmware MCU release 3.03 that in
crowded band conditions could be interpreted as "hiss" or "muddiness",
and I would encourage those who are hearing "hissy audio" to try an
upgrade to the latest beta level firmware.

73,
Don W3FPR