Ron AE6RH wrote:
> I've been playing around with PSK-31 and can sort of get it working, using
> the K-3 and the Elecraft software.  I am able to send by typing text into
> the software, and someone on the same frequency can hear and copy me.  I was
> having difficulty copying him, even thought I was hear his warble.

If you're using the PSK mode on the K3, try pressing XFIL and keeping
the signal in audible by tuning.  When you get to your narrowest filter,
start going down to about 200Hz, and then press the Spot button; this
should auto tune.  Narrow again down to 100Hz and then start tuning up
and down in single Hz increments until the copy is the best.  It will be
in the +/- 5Hz range from where the Spot auto puts you.
> I also have a copy of HRD, which is quite complicated to use, so I've put
> that off, even though I hear great things about it.

HRD/DM780 has a somewhat full-featured UI; there are other programs with
more complex ones, and some with simpler.  Try fldigi (I work on it) and
see if it strikes your fancy.  If not, try DigiPan and then move up from
there.
> My question is, does anyone have an application note; PSK-31 on a K-3 for
> dummies, that would give me a simple way to play with it?

Use two shielded cables to hook the K3 LINE in/out on the back of the K3
to your sound card.
Hook your RS232 cable up to your computer and your K3 if you have one.
Make sure you disable Windows sounds.
Install DM780, fldigi, or DigiPan.
Hold TEST to make sure you don't accidentally transmit.

You should be able to receive fine at this point and observe the
protocol.  Once you're happy with what you know, it's time to transmit.
Your biggest question is how to key the rig.  If all else fails, you can
just tap the K3's XMIT button when you want to transmit and tap it again
when done.  This will get you on the air pretty quick, with nothing but
the the two audio cables.

fldigi at least can be configured to use the RS232 commands to
transmit.  It can use the RS232 commands to read the VFO as well.
With the others you may have to futz with some settings about which
additional line (DTR, RTS, etc.) to use to cause the K3 to transmit.
With PSK there's no real advantage to using one of these extra lines on
the serial cable to transmit, and there are some disadvantages.
But the good news is that you definitely don't need a special interface
or cable.

Once you decide which program you like best, join the users group for it
(bulletin board, mailing list, what have you) and you'll find more
specific help there.

Leigh/WA5ZNU