Bill:

Are you sure about this? A snubbing diode has to have fast turn on, but
slower turn off is not as much of a concern. A while ago I looked at the
turn on and  turn off  times for several diodes including the standard
1N4007 and found all sufficiently fast to work well as a relay snubbing
device. Details are at
http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/diode_turn-on_time.htm

Jack K8ZOA