I can almost guarantee this is going to be another one of those, "My radio
doesn't act like that threads."

The reason being, this phenomenon is level sensitive.  With a weak signal the
noise reduction lowers the signal strength but above a certain level, it
increases the signal dramatically.

With a -110 dBm signal (1000 Hz beat note) turning on NR (F1-1) reduces the
audio signal 6 dB.

At -100 dBm input, NR *increases* the signal 11 dB.  At -90 dBm it's up 16 dB.

Wes  N7WS