As I'm sure you noticed the Elecraft web site was not available most of
yesterday 4/9/09.  This was due to  several  AT&T fiber cables that were cut by
vandals in a man-hole located in the San Francisco bay area. Telephone service,
broadband service, Sprint, and Verizon wireless were all affected.  AT&T is
offering a $100,00.00 reward for the arrest and conviction of whoever did this.

There is a lesson here for us all.  Even though the telephone network is
"protected" with fiber "rings" and protection channels  it is fragile  and can
fail from even a small amount of damage whether it be from vandals, fire,
earthquake, or just a simple auto accident.  Think about it!

This is the reason I do not much care for   Amateur modes such as IRLP/EchoLink
and D-Star that depend on the Internet for connectivity.

My K2 continued to work just fine during all of this and could have provided
emergency communications if needed.

73, Bill - K6WLM