From: Don Wilhelm <w3...@embarqmail.com>
To: cstove...@aol.com
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Sent: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 8:47 am
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K1 with Issues

Chuck,?
?

Make certain you have a dummy load connected to the K1 (it is
transmitting) and continually tap the WPM- button to try to lower the
power level for the testing that you need to do.?
?

Theory:?

The K1 uses one MCU pin (KEYIN) as an analog input to determine whether
the dot paddle, dash paddle or both have been closed.  The resistors
that determine the 3 levels are on the RF Board.?

R19, R20, and 2 sections of RP5.  The voltage at pins 4 and 5 of RP5
will determine the static voltage of all points in the circuit.?
?

What to do:?

Measure the voltage at pins 4 and 5 of RF Board RP5 and compare with the
voltage at Front Panel U1 pin 5.  They should be the very close to the
same voltage.  If not, check the values of R19 and R20 and re-flow the
soldering of RP5, R19 and R20.?
?

If you had ever attempted to clean the flux from your K1, that could be
the cause.  If some flux cleaner residue wicked up under the key jack,
it can create a leakage path which would explain your problem.  The only
cure is to remove the key jack and clean both the board area under the
jack and the bottom of the key jack.?
?

It is conceivable that the key jack itself could have some kind of
leakage path inside.  To check, you will have to remove the key jack and
replace it if necessary.?
?

Do the solder re-flow first - a bad connection can work fine for a
while, and then fail later after a bit of oxidation occurs.  If that
does not cure it, remove the key jack and check again with the jack
out.  Replace the key jack if required.?
?

73,?

Don W3FPR?
?