Joe;

This device exists today and has been on the market for several years.
Check out the KRC2 from Elecraft. Not only is it a band decoder, but
it also is a remote controller for the K2 (and by extension, the K3).
If the base factory unit doesn't have the specific command you need,
just ask - it can be customized.

On May 8, 2009, at 2:18 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> That's the drawback to any approach that uses a PC
> based scroll knob.
>
> An external device that would accept the RS-232 input
> from a PC (to allow other control software) and would
> simply add UP;/DN; (10 Hz steps) or UP4;/DN4; (1 KHz
> steps) to the data stream would be rather worthwhile.
> Add a couple general purpose inputs that could trigger
> specific commands on make and break (e.g., "tune" or
> "ATU Tune") and the device would be a real winner.
>
> 73,
>
>   ... Joe, W4TV

- Jack Brindle, W6FB