Sieve,

> Browbeating the ignorant for their ignorance, either as a class
> or as specific individuals does nothing to advance ham radio,
> and a good deal to retard it.

This "attitude" is not a matter of browbeating the ignorant for
their ignorance.  It may be browbeating the self entitled for
their attitude of entitlement and their unwillingness to make
any effort to improve their skills and knowledge.

There are too many amateurs who believe that they do not need
to do anything for themselves ... that memorizing the answers
to a few questions entitles them to demand that others do the
thinking for them and answer every question, no matter how
basic or in appropriate.  These same "entitled extras" seem
to feel it is up to manufacturers to build equipment that
operates as these inexperienced amateurs WANT it to operate
rather than the way experience nictitates things work in the
real world.

Rather than understand that a license is a starting point,
an opportunity to start learning, the "entitled extras" seem
to think a license entitles them to all the benefits, knowledge
and experience of all those who have preceded them without any
effort on their own part.  It is much like so many children in
high school and university today ... they expect the teachers
and professors to "teach" them but fail to understand that they
have a duty to listen and learn.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV