On Apr 8, 2009, at 2:22 PM, Jack Smith wrote:

> The "Cliff's Notes" version is that the turn-on (note I said  turn-on,
> not turn-off) time of a 1N4007 diode is sufficiently fast to be a very
> effective relay snubber.

Interesting! It's always true that experiment trumps theory.

Curious, though, that you would promote using a 1N4007 as a snubber
for a 12 volt relay. It would make more sense to use a 1N4001, which
has virtually identical characteristics as the 1N4007, except for the
reverse breakdown voltage. The 1N4001, with a reverse breakdown of 50
volts, it will withstand the relay energizing voltage of 12 volts.

The 1N4001 can be purchased for about a penny each in bulk. The 1N4007
is about four times more expensive. That's a three cent difference.
And, you know, hams are cheap. <grin>

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa...@arrl.net
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901