Dave,

I performed similar tests using a Marconi signal generator in the following
test configurations:

1) static benchmark test:   generator directly coupled to 144Mhz receiver
2) live on the air tests: smal antenne coupled to generator, receiver uses
outdoor 144Mhz antenna. Test was performed with outdoor antenna aimed at a
quiet direction.

My results between hearing the weak signal in the noise yes/no:

static benchmark setup: 1.8 dB
Live on the air setup:  2.2-2.5 dB

Same happens when I insert the DCI  4-pole 144 bandfilter, which has 0.8dB
insertion loss; never ever heard any difference in copying weak signals.

These results and some 15 years of trying various pre amps in many situations,
made me decide to forget about this whole pre-amp hype (I never did EME, so
cannot decide on that) on VHF.

73 Mark, PA5MW