On the contest side, all the CQWW and CQ WPX contests for all three modes
(CW, Phone and RTTY) have a 100 watt limit for the Low Power category.  So
do the NCJ NAQP and Sprint contests, twelve total each year.  The reason for
this is two-fold.  First, 100 watts covers the majority of HF transceivers
and second, it is a larger distinction from High Power.  If someone wants to
run more than 100 watts, they can enter the High Power category.
Unfortunately, ARRL still has a 150 watt PEP limit on their Low Power
category.  However, the effective difference between 100 and 150 watts is
negligible in reality and many contesters, including the serious ones, don't
worry about running 100 watts in ARRL contests.

Ed - W0YK

Eric, WA6HHQ replied: